This statement is effective from 31 July 2008 and was last updated on 11 August 2010
1. Our commitment to privacy
The privacy of Members and our customers is of utmost importance to the National Roads and Motorists’ Association Limited (ACN 000 010 506) (NRMA). This Privacy Statement sets out how we manage personal information across our business. It applies to NRMA and to each wholly owned subsidiary of NRMA (NRMA Group) and to the practices of the agents and contractors engaged by the NRMA Group to provide goods and services. It also applies to your use of any NRMA Group website, the NRMA Roadside Assistance iPhone Application, your dealings with the NRMA Group as a Member of NRMA (Member) or a customer of NRMA, and any third party information which may be collected by us.
We may update our policies and this Privacy Statement from time to time. The most current version will always be located on our website and is also available by contacting us on (02) 8741 6590 or contacting our Privacy Officer by email or at the address detailed below.
2. Types of personal information we collect
The types of personal information we collect will vary depending on your Membership, your dealings with the NRMA Group and the products, services and benefits we (or our agents, contractors and third parties) provide to you, or a request or inquiry you make in relation to such products, benefits and services. This information may include any or all of the following:
- Name, address(es), telephone number(s) and other contact details;
- Electronic address(es);
- Date of birth;
- Vehicle details including registration, model and colour;
- Transaction details relating to your use of our products, services or Member benefits;
- Any benefits you obtain from your Membership; any of the above information in respect of additional cardholders or your family members; and
- Any preferences you tell us about.
We may collect sensitive information, such as the fact that you are disabled, to allow us to provide our services more effectively to you (particularly Roadside Assistance) but only if you provide express consent at the time it is provided.
Information is also generated whenever a page is accessed on our website that records information such as the time, date and specific page. We collect such information for statistical and maintenance purposes that enables us to continually evaluate our website performance. Some parts of our websites also use “cookies”. A “cookie” is a small text file that is placed on your computer’s hard drive by a web page server. Cookies store information about the use of our website and are used to identify new or previous visitors to the website and what pages have been accessed. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies, but this function can usually be disabled if you wish. However please note that if you do disable this, not all functionality on our websites will be available to you.
3. Why we collect personal information
Generally, we collect and use personal information about Members and customers to establish Memberships and provide a range of products, services and benefits to Members and customers relating to their motoring and related lifestyle needs.
We also collect personal information to assist in identifying ways in which we can serve you better, such as providing our products and services to you more effectively, and to assist our internal administration and operations including accounting, risk management, record keeping, archiving, systems development and testing, and staff training.
Some of the information we collect is for the purpose of improving our interaction with Members and their involvement in the NRMA Group.
We collect personal information about third parties, including family members, for purposes in relation to yours and their dealings (either directly or indirectly) with the NRMA Group. These purposes include providing secondary Membership cards and Gift Memberships and for the purposes set out above.
Members who nominate an additional cardholder or provide personal information about a third party individual need to ensure that those persons are aware of this Privacy Statement, understand it and agree to accept it. If that individual does not have the capacity to understand and agree to these terms, NRMA requires a parent or guardian to give the assurances set out in this paragraph.
4. How we collect information
Generally, we collect personal information directly from you, such as when you apply for Membership or request a product or service, in the course of providing you with that product or service (eg: Roadside Assistance), or when you have other dealings with us.
We may collect and update that information over the phone, at roadside, over the Internet, in person (when you visit us at an NRMA office), when you write to us or if you participate in our marketing campaigns. We may also collect personal information through third parties such as:
- Our related companies;
- Affiliated interstate motorists’ clubs;
- Our business partners who provide Member benefits;
- Insurance Australia Limited* (trading as NRMA Insurance) and its related entities;
- Car dealers and manufacturers who provide Membership packages in the sale of vehicles; and Data washing organisations and postal service providers, including Australia Post.
5. Storage and protection of personal information
We store personal information in a combination of secure computer storage facilities and paper-based files and other records. In so doing, we have taken numerous steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Additionally we take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information when we no longer need it. We impose strict requirements of security and confidentiality on all third parties as to how they store, handle and deal with your personal information.
6. How we use personal information
We may use and disclose your personal information for a variety of purposes in connection with servicing you as a Member or customer and in relation to our business operations. These include:
- Processing and administering your Membership or dealings with us as a customer;
- Providing you with the products and services you have requested from us;
- Developing processes, products, services and benefits to better meet your needs;
- Disclosing your information for use by relevant parties in connection with your Membership and services, such as to affiliated interstate motorists’ clubs or the Australian Automobile Association; and
- Conducting market research and marketing our products and services to you more generally.
We may also use your personal information to offer or provide you with loyalty benefits, discounts or other information about such schemes that may be operated by us or third parties. This includes:
- Providing your personal information to companies in the NRMA Group, and to our other business partners, Insurance Australia Limited* (trading as NRMA Insurance) and its related entities to give you information and offers about products and services offered by us or these companies;
- Obtaining details about how you acquire and use our products, services and Membership benefits;
- Rewarding Members for utilising our products and services through mechanisms such as discounts, special pricing offers and prizes; and
- Targeting appropriate marketing of products and services to you.
The fact that you lodged a proxy form and/or attended a Member meeting in person or voted in a board election will be stored by us and used in accordance with this Privacy Statement. The way that you (or your proxy) voted will NOT be recorded except on an aggregated basis to determine the outcome of any vote.
We may provide your personal information to our agents, contractors or related companies for the purposes of, or in connection, with the supply of products and services to you and for the same purposes above.
If you do not wish to receive marketing information from the NRMA Group, please use the contact details below to update your preferences. Please note that if you make such a request:
- We may still need to use your personal information to provide you with the services and products you have requested as a Member or customer; and
- It may not be possible for us to immediately action a request to cease receiving any or all marketing material. However, we will respond to such requests as soon as practicable and will make all reasonable efforts to promptly activate a change in preference to opt out of receiving future marketing material.
We will not sell or rent your personal information without your consent. We may disclose your personal information where we are required or authorised by law to disclose your personal information or for any purposes connected to a fraud, crime prevention or impropriety investigation.
7. Location-Based Services
To provide location-based services on the NRMA Roadside Assistance iPhone application, NRMA, its partners and licensees may collect, use, and share location data, including the real-time geographic location of your mobile device. This location data is used by NRMA, its partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based features and services. The location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you, however we may request you to provide personal information and link that information to your location data for the purpose of providing some of the location based features of the NRMA Roadside Assistance iPhone application.
8. Access to personal information
We will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. If your personal details change, such as your address or phone number, please contact us on 13 11 22 to update your details.
Following a request, we will provide you with a copy of any personal information which we hold about you in accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act. We may charge a fee for retrieving this information, in which case we will inform you of the fee in advance of providing the information.
We undertake to promptly acknowledge and investigate any complaint about the way we manage personal information.
9. Contacting us
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, if you wish to update information we hold about you or if you wish to make a complaint, please write to:
The Privacy Officer
National Roads and Motorists’ Association Limited
9 George Street
North Strathfield NSW 2137
You can also telephone us on 13 11 22, visit an NRMA office or email our Privacy Officer. *Insurance Australia Limited (trading as NRMA Insurance) and its related entities are separate and unrelated to National Roads and Motorists’ Association Limited.